Author: Estyrien al'Halien
Bukama was one of 20 soldiers who escorted the baby Lan Mandragoran to safety when Malkier fell. Only he and four others survived the journey; they went on to raise and train Lan in Shienar. By the Aiel War, Bukama was the only one alive out of the original 20. (NS, Ch. 1) After the war, Bukama followed Lan to Canluum and then on to Chachin (NS, Ch. 16). It was there that Moiraine asked Lan for help in following Merean. Lan asked Bukama to shadow the Black sister but, unfortunately for him, Merean found out what he was attempting to do. She ordered Ryne, a Darkfriend and supposed friend of Lan, to kill him (NS, Ch. 25, Ch. 26).
- 955 NE: Bukama escorts the infant Lan from Malkier when it falls (NS, Ch. 1).
- 976-978 NE: Bukama accompanies Lan during the Aiel War (NS, Ch. 1).
- 979 NE: Bukama and Lan spend four months south of the Borderlands resting (NS, Ch. 15).
- 979 NE: Bukama and Lan travel to Canluum (NS, Ch. 15).
- 979 NE: Bukama, Lan, and Ryne travel to Chachin; Bukama agrees to protect Moiraine until Chachin (NS, Ch. 19).
- 979 NE: Bukama stays in the barracks of the Aesdaishar Palace, Chachin (NS, Ch. 22).
- 979 NE: Lan asks Bukama to watch Merean Sedai for Moiraine (NS, Ch. 25).
- 979 NE: Ryne Venemar kills Bukama by stabbing him (NS, Ch. 26).
- Tradition infused Bukama. He kept to many Malkieri traditions such as wearing the hadori and refusing to meet a woman's gaze (NS, Ch. 1, Ch. 25).
- He believed that a man's word should be as good as a sworn oath (NS, Ch. 1).
- Bukama was touchy about honour (NS, Ch. 1).
- Very few men would have been able to hear Bukama when he was following them (NS, Ch. 1). Even fewer men could have approached Bukama without him knowing it (NS, Ch. 26).
- Bukama had the right to wear a crest on his helmet yet he chose not to (NS, Ch. 1).
- Bukama liked to grumble. He never smiled, only glowered (NS, Ch. 1).
- Bukama had a yellow roan gelding called Sun Lance (NS, Ch. 1). Bukama had to leave him at Canluum because Sun Lance was unfit for the journey to Chachin. (NS, Ch. 16) He traded him for a black gelding (NS, Ch. 20).
- Bukama was the hero of Salmarna (NS, Ch. 15).
- Bukama was angry to see people from Malkier forgetting the old traditions of their country (NS, Ch. 15).
- Bukama was sworn to obey Lan but only once had Lan given him a direct command (NS, Ch. 16).
- He was once lovers with Racelle Arovni (NS, Ch. 16).
There was too little light to make out Bukama's weathered face, yet he knew it wore a glower. He could not recall seeing any other expression from his friend and teacher even when he spoke praise. Bukama was steel clothed in flesh. Steel his will, duty his soul. (Lan about Bukama; New Spring, Chapter 1)
"An honourable man protects whoever needs protecting, but children above all, and women above men." (Bukama to Lan; New Spring, Chapter 20)
Bukama laid facedown, blood pooled around his mouth, the plain wooden hilt of a dagger rising from the dark stain on the back of his coat. His staring eyes looked surprised. Kneeling, Lan closed those eyes and murmured a prayer for the last embrace of the mother to welcome Bukama home. (Lan about Bukama's death; New Spring, Chapter 26)