Author: Kyria d'Oreyn
Isam Mandragoran was a Malkieri noble; he was the son of Lain and Breyan Mandragoran (TEotW, Ch. 47). Even though he was only Lan's cousin, he resembled him enough to be mistaken for his brother (TSR, Ch. 19). He had long dark hair held back by a hadori and blue eyes he also had the same angular shaped head as Lan (TSR, Ch. 53).
For more information on him see the article on Slayer.
- As Trollocs overran Malkier, his mother disappeared with him. It was generally believed that they both died (TEotW, Ch. 47; TGH, Ch. 7).
- He presumably met Luc in the Mountains of Dhoom as pointed at in the Prophecy of the Shadow (TGH, Ch. 7). He is most likely the one who died yet still is, as he was sighted in Tel'aran'rhiod and Luc still seems to live.
- When Perrin fights Slayer in Tel'aran'rhiod Isam is controlling Slayer (ToM, Ch. 37).
- Isam is summoned to the Town to meet with one of the Chosen. The woman - most likely Cyndane - orders him to kill Rand. Two Samma N'Sei and a few Talentless are to accompany him (AMoL, Prologue).
- Isam enjoys killing wolves (ToM, Ch. 37).
- He thinks of himself as a hunter and Perrin his most formidable prey (AMoL, Prologue).
- He considers a death in the Blight, in the stomach of a Worm better than a life in the Town (AMoL, Prologue).
"Luc came to the Mountains of Dhoom.
Isam waited in the high passes.
The hunt is now begun. The Shadow's hounds now course, and kill.
One did live, and one did die, but both are."
(Excerpt of the Dark Prophecy; The Great Hunt, Chapter 7)
"Breyan and her infant son had both vanished when the Trollocs overran Malkier. And Isam had been blood kin to Lan.
Or is blood kin? I must keep this from him, until I know how he will react. Until we are away from the Blight. If he thought Isam were alive..." (Moiraine; The Great Hunt, Chapter 7)
"What knew Isam of real towns, real people? ... Isam was just a hunter. People held little interest for him beyond the best places for an arrow to enter so as to hit the heart." (A Memory of Light, Prologue)